Town of Huntsville
Customer Service
37 Main Street East Huntsville ON P1H 1A1

Phone: 705-789-1751
Fax: 705-788-5153

Map this location
Email Us

Voter Information

Voters' List

In an election year, the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) provides municipalities and school boards with a Preliminary List of Electors to help create the final Voters' List for the Municipal Election.

Electors are encouraged to update their information by contacting MPAC.

Beginning Tuesday, September 4, 2018, persons presenting appropriate identification may file an application with the Clerk's Office, or at the drop off location at the Town Hall, requesting a person's name be added to the Voter's List, removed from the Voter's List or information amended on the Voter's List.

Please contact the elections office at 705-224-8683 or toll free at 1-833-324-8683 to see if you're on the list.

Voters Guide

Provided by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs, the voters guide provides information to voters for the 2018 municipal council and school board elections.

Voter Education Video

The Town of Huntsville will be using internet and telephone methods for the 2018 Municipal and School Board Election. A voter education video outlining the process is available for information now.

Qualifications of an Eligible Elector

A person is entitled to be an elector at an election held in a local municipality (unless prohibited by this Act or any other Act) if, on Voting Day (Monday, October 22, 2018) they: 

  • Are a Canadian Citizen
  • Are at least 18 years of age
  • Reside in the local municipality or is the owner or tenant of land, or the spouse of such owner or tenant
  • Are not prohibited from voting as noted otherwise by law

Right to Vote

An elector, whose name appears on the Voters' List with the municipality to vote there, subject to the following rules:

  1. If the elector owns more than one property within the municipality, the elector must vote within the ward in which their residence is located. The elector does not have the choice as to where they wish to vote.
  2. If the elector owns more than one property and those properties are located with more than one municipality, the elector is entitled to vote at one voting place established for each of the local municipalities for the offices of the local Council.
  3. In the case of school boards, the elector is only permitted to vote once for their school board trustee even if they own more than one property in more than one municipality that is contained within the jurisdiction of the school board. It is suggested that non-resident school board electors be asked to take a declaration indicating that they have not voted and not be voting in any other location for the particular school board.

School Boards

There are four different kinds of school boards in Ontario:

English Public: 

  • Unless you are qualified to vote for a separate or French board, you will vote for the English Public School Board

English Separate:

  • You must be a Roman Catholic, and you must be a Separate School Board supporter or the spouse of a Separate School Board supporter. If your spouse is a Roman Catholic and you are not, you are not eligible.

French Public:

  • You must be a French-Language rights holder, and you must be a supporter (or the spouse of a supporter) of the French-Language Public School Board.

French Separate:

  • You must be a Roman Catholic and a French-Language rights holder, and you must be a supporter (or the spouse of a supporter) of the French Separate School Board. If your spouse is a Roman Catholic and you are not, you are not eligible.


If you are a student and consider your "home" to be the place where you live when you are not attending school (i.e. you plan on returning there), then you are eligible to vote in both your "home" municipality and in the municipality where you currently live while attending school.

Acceptable Documents for Voter Identification

Click here for a list of acceptable voter identification. Only one item is required and must be an original, certified or notarial copy and shall show the person's name and qualifying address.


Who to Contact

Town of Huntsville
Municipal Clerk / Election Returning Officer

Phone: (705) 789-1751 ext. 2255
In Person: 37 Main St East
Email the Returning Officer