Residents interested in seeking funding information are encouraged to visit the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing website page for details.

For your convenience, the Town of Huntsville has provided a summary below with direct links. Please be sure to review the direct links for complete program information.

What it is

Disaster Recovery Assistance for Ontarians (DRAO) is a program that can help you recover costs after a natural disaster. The Ontario Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing may activate DRAO for damage to private property if there’s a sudden, unexpected natural event, such as a flood or tornado that causes costly and widespread damage in your area.

DRAO provides financial assistance to:

  • small, owner-operated businesses
  • small, owner-operated farms
  • not-for-profit organizations
  • homeowners (primary residence only) and residential tenants

How it works

  • The intent of the program is to return essential property to its basic function and cannot be used for making improvements.
  • The program is not intended to replace insurance coverage. Insurance payments are deducted from eligible costs.
  • The application deadline is 120 calendar days after the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing announces that the program is activated in your area. Please check the program website to verify the deadline applicable to the disaster in your community.

If eligible, you could be reimbursed for:

  • Clean up expenses
  • Costs to repair or replace essential property
  • Basic emergency expenses like evacuation travel costs

How to apply

  1. The DRAO program was activated May 1, 2019 for the Town of Huntsville by the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing for eligible homeowners, tenants, small owner-operated businesses and farms, and not-for-profit organizations within our municipal boundary that were affected by the recent flooding
  2. Read the DRAO program guidelines
  3. Application details and form *deadline to apply is August 29, 2019


If you have trouble with the application form or still have questions after reading the program guidelines, contact the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing: