If you have structures or plan to build within the Town of Huntsville on the original shore road allowance (OSRA) abutting your property, you'll be required to close it. This is a condition of planning approvals (consent, minor variance or site plan approval).

What is a shore road allowance?

OSRAs were laid out by Crown surveyors. Many of the OSRAs along the lakes and rivers in Huntsville were never opened.

Why does it need to be closed?

Property owners often don't own their shoreline up to the water's edge. Purchasing the OSRAs can increase your lot size and lot coverage.

Original road allowances that lead to water won't be closed as they allow public access to water.

Steps to purchase an OSRA

These are the steps for approval. For a detailed guide, please read the road and shore road allowance closing policy and the OSRA procedures

  1. Fill out the application form, including letters from your neighbours and a sketch of the property.
  2. A planner will review the application and prepare a report for Development Services Committee.
  3. If Development Services Committee approves your application, you can start contacting agencies for approval and completing a survey.
  4. When you've got approvals and a survey, your lawyer will draft a by-law to close the OSRA.
  5. Advertise notice of the by-law for two weeks in the Huntsville Forester.
  6. The by-law will go to Council for passage. Your lawyer will register the by-law on the title of your property. Your lawyer will also complete the transfer of the OSRA once you've paid the purchase price.

License of occupation

If you don't want to purchase the OSRA or it can't be sold by the Town, you can apply for a license of occupation. A license of occupation recognizes structures on Town-owned property.

For more information about applying for a license of occupation, contact the Clerks department.