The Town of Huntsville Building Department services are operating contact-free and will continue to review and issue permits in conformance with the Ontario Building Code requirements and timelines.

Building permits

A building permit from the Town of Huntsville is needed when a person constructs, renovates or demolishes a building or causes a building to be constructed, renovated or demolished.

This applies to projects such as:

  • a home
  • commercial building
  • a structure
  • a garage

What is the definition of a building?

  • A structure occupying an area greater than 10 sq. metres (10' x 10') consisting of a wall, roof and floor or any of them or a structural system serving the function thereof including all plumbing, works fixtures, and service systems appurtenant thereto
  • A structure occupying an area of 10 sq. metres or less that contains plumbing, including the plumbing appurtenant thereto
  • Plumbing not located in a structure
  • A sewage system
  • Structures designated in the Building Code

What is a building permit?

A building permit is your approval to start construction. It means that plans for any new structure, addition or renovation have been reviewed by the Building department. The Building department ensures the plans meet the Ontario Building Code, local Zoning By-Laws and other applicable laws and regulations.

Why do I need a building permit?

A building permit is a way to regulate development in the Town of Huntsville to meet health, fire, structural and general safety standards. This is to protect individuals and the Community as a whole. It is illegal to conduct work without a permit. Conducting work without a building permit is against the Municipal By-Law and the Ontario Building Code Act.

When is a building permit required?

A building permit is needed when a person constructs or demolishes a building or causes a building to be constructed or demolished.  The Town of Huntsville also requires a building permit to be taken out when processing an application to connect to the District Water and/or Sewer. A permit to connect must be taken out first from the District of Muskoka. This permit must go with your application to the Town of Huntsville, along with the needed drawings.

What type of renovations require a permit?

The following is a list of common renovation projects that require a building permit:

  • Constructing an addition to an existing building, such as:
    • second or third story additions
    • attached garages or carports
    • “Muskoka rooms”
    • porches, decks
  • Making structural or material alterations, such as:
    • adding or removing walls
    • new windows or doors where there were none before
    • enlarging or moving existing windows or doors
    • expanding an existing deck or dock
    • enclosing an existing deck or porch
    • replacing structural parts of a deck or dock
  • Finishing a basement, if the work proposed includes any of the following:
    • structural or material alterations
    • installing or modifying heating and/or plumbing systems
    • excavating and/or constructing foundations
    • basement underpinning
    • constructing a basement entrance
    • adding an additional unit or suite
  • Demolishing or removing all or part of of a building
    • Installing or reconstructing a chimney or fireplace
    • Installing a wood burning stove or fireplace
    • Replacing or repairing footing drains
    • Upgrading or repairing a sewage system
    • Installing or modifying heating and/or plumbing systems
    • Constructing or replacing a retaining wall (if the retaining wall is adjacent to public property)
    • Changing a building's use (example: residential to commercial or single dwelling unit house to multi-dwelling unit house). Even if no construction is needed, if a change of use is proposed a building permit may be required.

Getting started

There are requirements you must meet depending on the project. Before you begin your next home/business build or reno, we recommended that you first:

  • Look into zoning and planning requirements 
  • If you are building on a waterfront lot, site plan approval may be required
  • When developing a vacant property, Town of Huntsville and District of Muskoka development fees may be required to be paid before a building permit can be issued

Permit applicationsCloudpermit logo

If you plan to build, renovate or demolish please apply for a building or septic permit through Cloudpermit, online:

  1. Register
  2. Login with your email address
  3. Watch the instructional video - how to submit a building permit

Documents needed to apply

You will need:

  • To review the Huntsville building by-law
  • Digital copies of the drawings for the project. These drawings may include:
    • detailed site plan
    • foundation details
    • structural details
    • heat design
    • energy efficiency sheet
    • engineered product details (trusses, lvl's)
    • plumbing
  • Site plan drawing showing the locations of proposed and existing structures, septic systems and wells with accurate setbacks and dimensions

Guides, checklists and resources

View the forms page for additional septic information, demolition checklist and deck/dock guides.


  • Refer to the fees and charges by-law
  • Based on the "Estimated Project Value of the Construction" at a rate of $10.00 per thousand dollars, with a minimum fee of $100.00. For new residential buildings, the fee is calculated based on the “Estimated Project Value” or $1.45 per square foot, whichever is greater
  • When developing a vacant property, Town of Huntsville and District of Muskoka development fees may be required to be paid before a building permit can be issued

All forms, permits and resources

Please visit "Building" on the forms page.