Marriage licence appointments

  • Licences require / are issued by appointment only
  • Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  • Contact the Clerks office or fill out an appointment request form to suggest an appointment date and time
  • 705-789-1751 or 1-888-696-4255 ext. 2356 (Brenda Jones) or 2258 (Crystal Best-Sararas)
  • Fee: $150.00 (Payment accepted by cash, credit card or interac only)
  • Appointment is held at Town Hall customer service 

Requirements to apply for a marriage licence

  1. The marriage licence application form must be fully completed and signed by both applicants, and submitted in person by one or both applicants with the appropriate documents
  2. All Documents Must Be Original – No Photocopies will be Accepted
  3. Identification must be in original format consist of either:
    1. Birth Certificate and photo ID – for both applicants; or
    2. Passport and a second piece of ID – for both applicants.
  4. Applicants 16 or 17 years of age require parental consent before applying
  5. We require your actual street address or lot and concession
  6. If a previous marriage was dissolved or annulled within Canada, the original or court certified copy of the “Certificate of Divorce” or “Decree Absolute” must be submitted
  7. A “Divorce Judgement” or “Divorce Order” is not acceptable. Certified copies are obtained from the Court who granted the divorce
  8. If a divorce was granted outside of Canada, please refer to the Service Ontario document titled Requirements Respecting Marriage in Ontario under section headed “authorization”
  9. You must indicate the municipality where the ceremony will take place
  10. If you do not understand or read English, you must provide your own interpreter and they
  11. must provide identification
  12. There are no residency or citizenship requirements in Ontario
  13. We ask that appointments be booked by the applicants only
  14. A Marriage Licence is valid for use anywhere in the Province of Ontario for a period of 3 months from the date of issue

Apply for a marriage certificate

You apply for this certificate through the Government of Ontario, and:

  • You must be legally married in order to request a marriage certificate
  • This is proof that you and your spouse are legally married (your statement of marriage).
  • You may be asked to provide this certificate in cases where you decide to change your name. Examples where this apply are on drivers licences, health card, utility bills, etc.

A certificate can be requested for:

  • Newly-weds - apply for a marriage certificate 12 weeks after you get married
  • Replacement certificate - if you lose your existing one

Venues in Huntsville

While you're inquiring about licences, check out our weddings page that offers some superb options for venues to rent for your big day.

Officiant and civil marriage services