Commissioning a document

  • Allows a Town staff member (specifically a Commissioner of Oaths) to officially witness your authorized signature
  • This service includes affidavits, oaths, statutory declarations, and the certification of certain documents (must be Province of Ontario documents)

We do not have a Notary Public on staff and therefore are unable to notarize documents. Please contact a local law office to perform this service. Please note that Service Ontario or lawyers offices can provide commissioning services.

Documents we will commission

  • Province of Ontario government printed forms - affidavits, oaths and statutory declarations
  • Vehicle transfers (Ontario forms only)
  • Town of Huntsville planning application forms

Documents we are not able to commission

  • Travel documents
  • Consent to travel letters
  • Foreign pension documents
  • Insurance claim forms
  • Power of attorney documents
  • Divorce, Separation of Custody documents
  • Wills, living wills or Codicils to Wills
  • Theft, Real Estate, Financial or other Personal related documents
  • Non-Ontario government documents
  • Documents that require a Notary Public


All parties must:

  • Be present
  • Provide valid original government issued photo identification (i.e. driver's licence)
  • Swear an oath of truth in front of the Commissioner of Oaths

The Commissioner of Oaths reserves the right to refuse commissioning services for any document.

Fees and Payments

Fees are subject to our fees and charges by-law and are payable by cash, Visa, MasterCard or debit.


  • Appointments are recommended
  • Contact the Commissioner of Oaths to confirm that your document can be commissioned by the Town