In 2013, the Town of Huntsville was successful in securing contracts with the Ontario Power Authority (now the IESO) to sell power back to the grid generated from solar panels on 6 Town-owned buildings.
The selected contractor, Greenside Electric, completed construction and all systems are connected to the grid as of early February 2014. The 6 buildings that have 10kW solar photo voltaic systems are: Civic Centre, Huntsville Public Library, Madill Yard, Huntsville Fire Hall, Port Sydney Fire Hall, and Port Sydney Community Hall. The Town of Huntsville is paid $0.549 for every kW of energy we generate.
View live solar energy generation!
Anyone can view the energy being generated in real-time at each site. Follow these steps:
- Go to http://home.solarlog-web.ca/690.html
- On the left-hand menu, there are 6 sites listed under the heading Zip Code P. Four of these sites are Town of Huntsville Sites: Civic Centre, Huntsville Fire Hall, Huntsville Public Library, Madill Yard.
- Click on any one of the names. A title page for that site will appear giving the system specs and current power.
- In the left-hand menu, Click on any one of the building names. Subsequently, 2 drop-down menu items will appear:
- Graphics: shows daily production and you can toggle between time periods (daily, monthly, annually) and show the different inverters on sites with more than one
- Events: this is the activity log from the system
- Use the left-hand menu to toggle between sites.
Please note: The two Port Sydney sites are not currently available on the Solar-Log website as internet is not available on-site. Staff are exploring possibilities for internet at these sites. In the meantime, these solar systems will be monitored locally.
Quarterly Summary of Data
In the next section titled Documents is a quarterly summary of energy generation (kWh), revenues ($), and carbon dioxide (CO2) avoided. These numbers are for all 6 sites combined. To view individual site data, follow the instructions in the above section.
The Town of Huntsville sells the energy we generate back to the grid at a rate of $0.549 per kWh.
Quarterly Summary of Data Documents
+ data includes only 4 of 6 sites (no data for Port Sydney Fire Hall or Port Sydney Community Hall)