Earth Week 2017
Earth Day is celebrated every year on April 22nd. It is one of the most celebrated environmental events worldwide. This spring the Huntsville Public Library, the Town of Huntsville, EcoMuskoka and Transition Huntsville have an entire week of activities planned for you and your family to celebrate Earth Week.
There is something for everyone from April 17-23!
* Events with an asterix beside them take place outside of the Library. All others will be held within our Library building.
Getting to the Other Side: How did the Salamander Cross the Road
- Muskoka Watershed Council presents David LeGros talking about his latest
research on the impact of logging on salamanders as part of their
Environmental Lecture Series. Please RSVP to muskokawatershed.org
- Tuesday, April 18 at 4:00-5:30 PM
- Adults; free
Urban Treescape Application
- Are you interested in having a tree planted in your yard? Enhance your lot and the streetscape by planting a native tree. View the application form and apply today.
- April 19 to May 26
- Adults; see application for fee
Green Tapestry Radio Show *
- Listen live to the Green Tapestry show on Hunters Bay Radio hosted by Mike Peppard.
- Thursday, April 20 at 10:30 AM
- Adults; free
- Storytime is an excellent way to introduce babies and toddlers to board
books, songs and your public library. Join Huntsville Public Library for an earth week themed
- Thursday, April 20 at 10:00 - 10:30 AM
- Ages 0-2; free
- Storytime is an excellent way to introduce young children to stories,
songs and your public library. Join the Huntsville Public Library for an earth week themed
- Thursday, April 20 at 11:00 - 11:45 AM
- Ages 2-5; free
Earth Week Crafting
- Visit the Huntsville Public Library to be creative and make an upcycle craft during Earth Week. Registration opens Monday, March 6.
- Thursday, April 20 at 4:00 - 5:00 PM
- Ages 5-12; free
Green Drinks *
- Join in the conversation! Green Drinks is an informal event where green
businesses and like minded people can get together and share ideas. You
must RSVP in advance to this event by contacting Cortney at the Library.
This event takes place at the Farmers Daughter on highway 60.
- Thursday, April 20 at 6:30 PM
- Adults Only; $10
Annual Compost Giveaway *
Pick up free nutrient rich compost soil, just in time for spring! The Town of Huntsville, in partnership with the District Municipality of Muskoka, will be giving away free compost at Madill Works Yard located at 169 Madill Church Road. Residents are responsible for shovelling their own compost.
- Friday, April 21 at 8:00 AM
- Free; First come, first served while supplies last.
- Bring your shovel. No motorized equipment allowed.
- Bring a container or bag for your compost.
- Seedy Saturday's are events that happen all across the globe. Join us
for a community seed swap, check out local seed and produce vendors,
attend one of our workshops on gardening, sprouting, seed saving or
vermicomposting. We will have samples, seeds and seedlings. You don't
have to be a pro to enjoy this great event. Everyone is welcome to drop
- Saturday, April 22 | 1:00 - 4:00 PM
- All ages
Community Clean Up *
- Are you looking to make a difference in your neighbourhood? Why not
head outside and clean up some of the trash that has accumulated over
the winter. Make sure to wear your gloves and place trash out on your
designated collection day.
- Sunday, April 23 | Anytime
- All ages
Native Plant Sale
Each year, Muskoka Conservancy hosts a native plant sale. This is a
chance for you to purchase a variety of native trees, shrubs and
perennials for your property. Native plants are hardy for our Muskoka
climate, often require very little maintenance and most importantly,
match what nature would have grown on our properties. Join the latest
trend by planting and growing native species! More information and order
form can be found at muskokaconservancy.org
- All Week
- All Ages
Urban Streetscape Tree Planting
Enhance your lot and the streetscape by planting a native tree. This will improve the look of your neighbourhood and help clean the air for years to come!
Are you interested in having a tree planted in your yard? View the application form and apply today.
Here are some tips to help keep your tree growing healthy and strong.
Unity Plan: Huntsville's Guide to a Sustainable Future
The Town of Huntsville celebrates Earth Day everyday by working to implement the Unity Plan.
Learn more by reading the Unity Plan.
Find out what's being done with Unity Plan implementation by visiting the various pages on this website under the Sustainability heading on the left hand side of this page.